Monday, October 31, 2011

Running in Khujand

The good news is that 2 minutes jog down the hill from my apartment block there is a park with a 400 metre track round the outside. Even more good news it is free and uncrowded.  Even more good news it is a cross country track. It has a granite gravel surface with a water jump and lots of plants. small children will pace you as long as you just jog.

In three weeks i have not seen a single runner on the street. As I live 5 kilometers from the clinic and there is a basin and a coat stand in the office I have taken to jogging in or out and sometimes both. I now wear Adidas track suit bottoms at all times and thereby attract least possible attention. When I stop I think I pass for Russian unless I try to speak.

I had been worried about frenzied dog attack, and so had topped up my rabies shots before coming out. So far I have never seen a dog more than readjust their sleeping position as I pass.

The weather turned cold and rainy this weekend thus finally justifying the tracksuit and even my fell running gear. The mountains north of the ring road were snow capped. Snow line is 2500 m . Here is my view jogging in to work. I have not found any local person expressing any interest In running or walking in these rocks. i think the season has passed in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment